By Drs. Richard & Karilee Shames
Over several years, we created a road map to empower people like yourself who know there's something not right but can't find acknowledgment within the hallowed halls of medical science. What if your situation is not truly an abnormal medical problem, but instead simply borderline gland function. It could eventually deteriorate into a serious medical situation, but we have good news for you. It doesn't have to progress; you can take charge of your hormonal balance and learn to restore and revive your glands.
First, ask yourself: does anyone in my family have thyroid or autoimmune problems (like diabetes, MS, or others?). Then reflect back to when you began to notice that you weren't quite yourself; was it in puberty, after childbirth, around menopause, or perhaps at the time of a very stressful crisis in your life? If so, you are likely to have identified the time when your glands were unable to maintain their previous balance.
Second, look over your medical history. When did you start telling the doctor that you thought something was wrong with your thyroid, or hormones? As it turns out, 20 million Americans are currently taking thyroid medication, and twice to thrice this amount would benefit from better thyroid, adrenal, or sex gland care. This means that up to 60 million Americans might benefit from better evaluation and care for mild hormonal imbalances.
Third, consider your exposure to history. Did you grow up in agricultural or tropical areas using lots of pesticides and sprays? Did you live near chemical plants or incinerators when younger? Do you still use insecticides in your home, and are you living in a community that fluoridates its water? These are important questions to help you begin to understand the challenges you may be facing.
Even if you are taking thyroid medication, you may find that there are a number of natural ways to augment this care, and that you can benefit from making healthy changes. Let's consider the way you would proceed.
1. You can go to our book FEELING FAT, FUZZY OR FRAZZLED?, or to www.canaryclub.org and answer the quick quiz that helps you identify which of your hormone-producing glands might need the most help initially. This is what we call your “apparent endo-type”.
2. The Camary Club makes it possible for you to order your own testing, via hormone test kits sent to your home, which will give you the most accurate assessment of your delicate hormonal balance.
3. You can then read in Chapter 4 of our book about the JumpStart program for all endocrine types, to ensure you are using very high quality nutraceutical products to help restore your glands to full function. For example, if thyroid is your problem, we recommend adding 200 mcg. Selenium daily to your regimen. If you are adrenal challenged, you may benefit enormously from 500 mg. Pantothenic acid (B5). If your reproductive sex glands are causing chaos, your best first step would be to simply add 1000 mg. Omega 3 Fatty Acids. These are quick and easy boosts for longstanding problems.
4. Now, after you have followed the jumpstart program to be sure you have a high quality multiple vitamin, antioxidants, essential oils, you can proceed to the individual middle chapters that discuss each of these glands separately, to help you address your specific problem with natural remedies.
5. Then consider your exercise and dietary programs, to be sure you are eating and exercising right for your endocrine type. We each metabolize differently, so one diet doesn't fit us all.
6. After all these adjustments, if you still need additional support, you may be one of the people who would benefit from taking some prescription medicines to address the gland problems directly. These must be prescribed by a knowledgeable practitioner, whether MD, NP, DO, ND, DC, certified nutritionist, or other skilled professional.
Consider Personalized Coaching: To help the millions suffering from undiagnosed and under-treated hormonal problems, we have established a new medical/health model, wherein Dr. Rich Shames is available to review your lab results, tell you how to proceed, and even advises you on how to speak to your own doctor to get better care for this. Dr. Rich can specify which tests you need and why and then can tell you how to interpret them to be sure your concerns are carefully addressed. Karilee Shames PhD, RN can support you emotionally via phone or in-office appointments and energy-boosting techniques.
It is a miracle that we are so complex in our biochemistry, and yet we can fix these minor problems so readily using natural remedies before we become ill. You can learn to help yourself, and those you love, with simple over-the-counter remedies that can restore you to your former self, full of life, full of vitality, full of energy to face the world's demands and do your best to make it a better place for us all. May your force be with you.
Richard Shames is a Harvard-Univ of Penn. MD who founded one of the country's first holistic medical centers in 1973 in Marin County. Karilee Shames PhD, RN is a Certified Advance Practice Holistic Nurse who practices collaboratively with Dr. Rich. Together they have written numerous books including THYROID POWER and FEELING FAT, FUZZY OR FRAZZLED? They have just expanded their practice with a new Cotati office as well as offices at the Preventive Medical Center of Marin. For more information, go to www.FeelingFFF.com